Things we’ve been working on over the last month:
– cleaning up lots of little things in gameplay.
– scads of optimizations here and there (the game is liquid-fast on any modern PC, but handhelds like the iPhone are effectively like a decade-old desktop computer, and some aspects of the game needed to be rewritten to run quickly on that). An upside of this is that it considerably widens the scope of computers that can run this – practically anything with just basic OpenGL support, 40mb of free ram, and a >500mhz processor can run it just fine.
– additional cave and forest levels, mostly thanks to “shadowmaster”.
– some additional monster designs
– making locks into visible objects, and adding functionality to have to physically grab a key and drag it to the lock to unlock it.
– working on a few new cutscenes, and polishing up the game’s ability to handle boss battles.
– a new basement tileset (Attentive pixel-artists will note that this hasn’t been cleaned up to tile nicely, yet, especially on the background wall.)
– Last but not least, we’ve overhauled how we do dialogue – rather than having portraits for individual characters, we’ve switched to animating their sprites to convey emotion. We now zoom-in the game screen to make the animations visible, and we’ve changed the speech boxes to (stylized) speech bubbles to indicate the speaker.