Over the past couple weeks, I’ve been working on getting Frogatto to run on the iPhone. I started by re-doing all the drawing code to be compatible with OpenGL ES. After that I set up a new iPhone project, and worked through a couple hundred compiler and linker errors. At that point it was running in the simulator, but it was only displaying white… After a bunch of unfortunate mishaps, we finally figured out that the problem was the iPhone only supports power-of-two textures (16×16, 32×32, 64×64, etc.), and the game wasn’t properly detecting that. After that was fixed up, I got MakeGho, our Finnish math-slave, to figure out how to rotate the whole thing so that it would be horizontal instead of vertical (SDL doesn’t support doing that itself). We had some graphics artifacts, due to scaling, which Dave fixed up, and at the same time Guido made some controls, which I put in. Last night I put the finishing touches on the controls, bringing us to the stage where the game should actually be playable on an iPhone! I can’t test on my iPod, because I haven’t gotten a dev account yet, but I’m in the process of doing that. For now, here’s a screenshot of it working in the iPhone Simulator:
At this point, there are still some things that should be done for the iPhone (mainly re-implementing sound, which had to be disabled due to SDL_mixer not supporting the iPhone), but we should definitely be able to release an iPhone version at the same time we release the mini-saga for PC.